- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Office: ECE Building, 306 N Wright St, Urbana, IL 61801
- Phone: (909) 575-7644
- Google Scholar
Hello! My name is Gavin (Jialun) Zhang. I am a second-year PhD student in the ECE department at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. My advisor is Richard Y. Zhang. I am also a member of the coordinated science laboratory at UIUC.
I’m mainly interested using optimization and machine learning to solve large-scale, data-driven problems with provable guarantees. Previously I also have worked in other areas of applied and computational mathematics, such as numerical PDEs and mathematical biology.
I received a bachelor’s degree in mathematics from Harvey Mudd College, where I worked with professors Chiu-Yen Kao and Andrew Bernoff on numerical PDEs and mathematical biology. I also received a master’s degree in computational mathematics from Stanford, where I worked with Mert Pilanci.
Publications and Preprints
- Preconditioned Gradient Descent for Overparameterized Nonconvex Burer-Monteiro Factorization with Global Optimality Certification Gavin Zhang, Salar Fattahi, Richard Y. Zhang.
- Preconditioned Gradient Descent for Over-parameterized Nonconvex Matrix Factorization.
Gavin Zhang, Salar Fattahi, Richard Y. Zhang.
Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems (NeurIPS 2021)
- How Many Samples is a Good Initial Point Worth in Low-rank Matrix Recovery?
Gavin Zhang, Richard Y. Zhang.
Spotlight Presentation. Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems (NeurIPS 2020)
- Weak Solution of a Doubly Degenerate Parabolic Equation.
Di Kang, Tharathep Sangsawang, Gavin Zhang
- Agent-based and Continuous Models of Locust Hopper Bands.
A. J. Bernoff, C. M. Topaz, M. R. D’Orsogna, L. Edelstein-Keshet, R. Jones, J. Zhang, S. J. DeVore and S. Schein (Submitted)